2011年12月12日星期一

Ping G20 Driver Review


Circa 1992, I am 15 years old just blazing my wooden Ping Eye 2 driver down the fairway at my first ever employer Twin Lakes Golf and Country Club in Federal Way, Wa. Nearly 20 years later and I am finally putting another Ping driver in the bag, for the next 18 holes at least, at Chamber’s Bay Golf Course in University Place, Wa.
As with most weekend warriors I have had an ever-changing ferris wheel of drivers make their way in and out of my golf bag. My brother being a golf professional provided an access to new sticks that no man should ever meddle with. As such, I have tinkered and changed drivers on a never ending cycle praying to find “The One.”

 Ping G20

For our demo’n pleasure, the fine folks at Ping Golf sent us their latest driver offering: the Ping G20.

Impressions:
Only took me a couple practices swings to notice how balanced the club was. I mentioned to Jason that I felt like I could hold it upside down and not tell the difference weight wise. It feels really solid and put together in the back swing, which encouraged me to get after it as compared to babying or steering the driver as I currently tend to do. This stock grip is no joke either. It’s tacky to the point where is was digging into my hand the last few holes at Chamber’s. Maybe I was choking the club to death but it was the first time I’ve said “man, that grip damn near hurts.”
Looks: 
The all gray look is pretty sweet and not distracting in any way. It doesn’t give you an overwhelming, “I am going to crush this feeling,” it’s more of a “eh, this is a pretty good looking stick.” Some of the features on other clubs that have been turn-offs (colored head, ridges, slots, etc) are not featured. Only the traditional Ping alignment aid shows on the top.

Sound: 

Most of the time is gives a pleasant muted sound off the club face. More than any driver I have ever hit this club gives you a different sound for each region of the club face that you strike. The sound gets more and more muted as you move away from the center. Now, when you hit it dead nails flush….which only happened twice. I mean it has to be a pin sized circle, it makes the most horrific crack I have ever heard. Jason was standing next to me when I flushed it and jumped two feet in the air he was so startled. Wow. I can’t over state how loud it was. I thought I broke it.

Performance: 

I really want to say that something was off. I don’t want to write a review about a club that a manufacturer sent us and make it sound like we are giving biased praise. Basically, I don’t want you, the reader to think we are kissing Ping’s ass. That being said, I think it’s the best driver I have ever hit. Honestly, it made my Tour Burner look silly. I wish they had sent two so that I don’t have to fight anyone else for the right to put it in my bag.

没有评论:

发表评论